Life is a series of losses and our responses. Of course you must have gains to have losses and that is a very positive focus. As we travel the path that is infertility, we attempt to survive the small and large losses with some semblance of sanity and without losing all manner of dignity. There are many therapeutic processes that can be a part of our care and that will bring a beneficial result.
- Realize and recognize the loss
Do not minimize the fact that you do have sadness when you start your period, or miscarry, or have a failed procedure.
- Give yourself massive doses of restful relaxation
Self-nurturing is an absolute requirement during ongoing medical treatment.
- Share your pain and be humble enough to accept support
Connect with those who will give you positive feedback and support that is unconditional.
- Keep a diary and record successes, memories, and struggles
Journalling is amazingly therapeutic. The power of the written word is a natural cathartic.
- Prepare for change, new interests, new friends, solitude, creativity, and growth
Embrace the support opportunities that are available—you will be better for the experience.
- Recognize that forgiveness (of ourselves and others) is a vital part of the healing process
Anger and guilt are common feelings during treatment; accept that and move ahead.
- Know that certain events can bring up the painful feelings you thought you had successfully worked through
You are not alone; we have people, products, and resources to assist you through the darkest times. Remember: this is our mission.